Wednesday, February 13, 2013

The Pinterest and the Popcorn

So a few weeks ago I got this crazy idea that I wanted to send my boy to school on Valentine's Day with something more than the standard store-bought cards and cookies. I had dreams of hand-made cards and home-made baked goods. Then I found the perfect treat on Pinterest. Super easy and kind of fun to make (it's a sticky mess lol). I never got around to the home-made cards, but he's definitely taking a special Valentine to his friends. This is the pin I came across:












It was so pretty and looked so yummy that I decided then and there that I was going to make it for Bam's class. I crossed my fingers that it would actually link to something and clicked on the pin. It took me to a wonderful blog called She Wears Many Hats by a woman named Amy Johnson. She calls it Party Popcorn and has all kinds of fun ideas for it.

I followed her directions and used Orville Redenbacher's, Natural Simply Salted and the
Wilton Candy Melts from Michael's.


I popped the popcorn and melted the candy according to their package directions. Then the fun part came. I mixed it with my hands in a large bowl and laid it out on parchment paper to dry.


It was dry enough to handle (but still sticky) in about 30-45 minutes.


It was too much of a mess to try and get the popcorn into balls so I just scooped it into the cute Valentine bags that I had found at the Dollar Tree.


I had Bam sign the back of the cards, punched a hole in them and used curling ribbon to secure the cards and the bags.
I do need to point out that two bags of popped corn and one bag of candy melts only made 8 of these cute little bags. Since I need 30 of these, I will be making a trip to Michael's in the morning for more candy melts (it's always a bummer to HAVE to go to Michael's).
I may buy enough to make some to keep at home.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute idea Kelli!!!! You're such an awesome mom!!! If you have any extra, feel free to share some with me! <3

    ReplyDelete