Thursday, May 29, 2014

They do what they see.

The 3rd grade boy brought home the PTA newsletter today. Under upcoming events, the annual music festival that is hosted at the 7th grade girl's school was listed. The girl is in a guitar class at school.

*DEEP BREATH*
"Hey, are you a part of this music festival at your school THIS Saturday?"

"Oh yeah, I keep forgetting to give you the flyer."

*digs around in binder* "Here it is."

"How long have you had this flyer?"

*sheepish look* "Ummmmmmmm..."

"How LONG?"

*mumbling* "A week or so."

"Dang it child! I'm supposed to work all day Saturday. I could've taken the day off!"

"It's not required. I don't have to go." (Translation: I don't have to go but I really, really want to.)

"I'll try to get someone to work for me." 

(Because I need another reason to receive the Mother of the Year Award and feel guilty for working.)

"Thanks mom."

It's really hard to get mad at your child when whatever behavior they have exhibited is something you recognize as being something directly learned from you. And this is exactly something I would do and have done. There are so many of my own personality traits, habits and behaviors that I can't stand. That I constantly make excuses for. Sadly, I'm seeing my children exhibit them more and more. They're lazy, they're procrastinators, they're multi-starters. It's my fault and it bums me out.

On the other hand, maybe this realization is the kick in the ass I need to make some change with myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment